Versa and APN Partners Work Together to Simplify, Optimize and Secure Application Migration to Amazon Web Services
November 26, 2018
Versa Networks, innovator of the Secure Cloud IP software platform, is changing the game once again by teaming up with APN networking partners to provide Secure Software-Defined WAN (SD-WAN) solutions tailored for Amazon Web Services. This solution offering will further secure and optimize the migration of enterprise on-premises workloads and applications to AWS. Versa has aligned with service provider and system integration partners that have achieved AWS Networking Competency status and who are an AWS Partner Network (APN) Partner supporting AWS Direct Connect.Versa APN operator alliances include Verizon, Comcast, Centurylink and Zayo, with Zayo initiating the first package offered in the AWS Solution Space: https://aws.amazon.com/solutionspace/solutions/versa-zayo-integrated-network-solution-on-aws/
“SD-WAN is another way we’re leveraging our extensive fiber and MPLS backbone to better serve our customers,” said Tyler Coates, SVP of the Zayo Enterprise segment. “As an extension of our WAN business, it makes network management easier and more cost-effective. SD-WAN uses automation and software to manage capacity and integrate different access technologies. Customers also benefit from the ability to connect to the AWS environment much more efficiently.”
The Versa solution is designed to allow for easier enterprise-branch WAN connectivity that extends to customers’ cloud environments with all the advantages of Secure SD-WAN, including fully encrypted traffic through DCA (direct cloud access) and direct Internet conduits, and HA edge routing through Versa leveraging Amazon Transit Virtual Private Clouds (VPCs). This next-generation branch-cloud network topology is based on an architecture scalable across thousands of applications and VPCs, as well as thousands of on-premises nodes that automatically spin up SD-WAN tunnels to customers’ SD-WAN virtual appliances deployed in their Amazon VPCs.
The Versa architecture for AWS incorporates application-aware routing, application traffic optimization and transport diversity (MPLS, Internet, LTE, DCA) with the capability to leverage cloud-interconnect and gateway solutions for private, direct access to AWS.The combined solution provides uniform, secure SD-WAN policies spanning on-premises edge/branch connectivity and Amazon VPCs. Enterprise customers can alsobenefit from an operator managed service powered by Versa that delivers:
- Intelligent application experience multi-path steering – automate path selectionbased on application performance and experience across the WAN from thebranch or SD-WAN virtual appliances within AWS
- Simplified networking and security policies – unify and maintain policy consistently from a single point-of-control for SD-WAN-enabled endpoints in the branch and AWS
The Versa solution offers a secure cloud-native, multi-tenant, multi-service software platform solution for the cloud-enabled enterprise that was designed to deliver:
- Improved Manageability and Control, bringing the power of automated, centralized operations to distributed enterprises and a transport–agnostic wide area network that facilitates the integration of disparate network connections (IP-VPN, Broadband, LTE) into a single virtual network that can be easily operated, managed and deployed from a centralized, single point-of-control.
- Increased Site and Application Resiliency: Versa combines the consistent performance of a traditional IP-VPN with an agile secure SD-WAN. Corporate and centralized locations will benefit from reliable, high-bandwidth connectivity provided by a Global MPLS/IP-VPN infrastructure coupled with the flexibility for customers to bring their own access or leverage direct Internet access (DIA) as well. SD-WAN then provides the application-driven intelligence to optimize traffic steering for on-premises workloads and workloads within customers’ Amazon VPCs to accelerate and secure migration.
- Reduced Costs: Customers can maximize the utilization of current bandwidth capacities by running all connectivity links in an active-active mode. As bandwidth requirements soar, organizations can adopt best-of-breed approaches like dedicated enterprise-grade connectivity for mission-critical applications and secure broadband for peripheral applications. This solution was designed to generate cost benefits with a more centralized approach to managing the networks as well as a reduction in total cost of ownership.
Additional technical features of the Versa solution include:
- Access bonding and per-packet load balancing: the ability to support bandwidth-sensitive traffic over two low bandwidth circuits
- Unidirectional measurement and steering: allow an SD-WAN branch to utilize a different path for transmitting and receiving traffic
- Packet replication: distributes the same packet across multiple paths to reduce the impact of packet drops, thus avoiding risk to latency
- MOS–based traffic steering: Dynamic traffic steering for voice and video traffic both on-premises and in the cloud based on real-time experience scoring
Addressing the optimization and security of branch access to cloud-hosted mission-critical applications and workloads, in a dynamic, simplified and automated manner, is essential for contemporary business operations. Secure SD-WAN services enable enterprises to create an enterprise-wide cloud-network fabric that accelerates modern day application consumption demands and supports enterprise digital agility, speed and security, all while ensuring and improving end-user experience for productivity, collaboration and business services.